• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Recent content by Peter West

  1. P

    'Premier League' Heritage Railways

    Much enjoyed reading this strand and we were having a similar debate a month or so before where I was trying to introduce the aesthetics of the experience of travelling into the equation, in particular the coaches and the carriages(!). In terms of hard measures for me the length of...
  2. P

    Helsinki - Moscow - Aktobe - Astana

    Great to read your Uzbeki notes John-many thanks and that,s all very reassuring. Between you and the man at seat 61 I think that,s a great start. On the taxi from the station I agree it shouldn,t be too much of a stinger and I guess one can also ask the hotel to book it for you. My partner is...
  3. P

    Helsinki - Moscow - Aktobe - Astana

    Interesting to read about the trip to Kazakhstan although the boarding hassle in Moscow sounded stressful but truly intrepid stuff. I think I might have done it in my student days but probably not now(!) I got to this thread as I was hoping to find that someone had managed to do the Silk Road...
  4. P

    In praise of heritage railways...but which are the best?

    It,s been fun reading the opinions on this subject and just thought I,d throw in another two dimensions to the discussion. For me the length of the journey (and therefore the length of the track)does matter as the joy of the ride is linked to some kind of day out. And, as has been said,ideally...
  5. P

    In praise of heritage railways...but which are the best?

    Many thanks for the welcome and some great input plus someone kindly reparked this strand in the right place on the Forum. 15 plus 5 more railways this year...what a life you lead E759...puts my puny 2 into perspective. Hope you can give us all a full report, maybe with a league table showing...
  6. P

    In praise of heritage railways...but which are the best?

    I recently discovered this fabulous forum and having been reading across the subject matter. With regard to heritage lines by best I mean authentic in terms of creating the ambience of past times. Coaches and and specifically compartments would seem to be a critical component. I recently...

Top