• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Recent content by MalcolmB

  1. M

    Four central Glasgow stations to be gated

    Do you actually read what I write? In my experience all of the times that I have been on my train and the ticket inspector hasn't came up the train collecting tickets there is absolutly no reason whatsoever for him not to have done so. The train was only 1/4 full, mostly little old ladies...
  2. M

    Four central Glasgow stations to be gated

    I can see how it works on underground trains but not on busy mainline stations as I was pointing out. "And if there are less people than can fit on the train, why would gates make them miss the train? Presumably there wouldn't be a huge queue of people all trying to get through just seconds...
  3. M

    Four central Glasgow stations to be gated

    @scotsman "Are you just going to insult as many rail staff on here as possible, you're going the right way about it? So, scenario for you: Strathspey Railway. 1450 departure from Boat of Garten to Broomhill. You hold a ticket and you spot 3 folk in the Guard's Office talking (all in...
  4. M

    Four central Glasgow stations to be gated

    @ scotsman "but I can think of various scenarios in which train crew don't venture out. 1. They have been told not to 2. The passengers on the train have been drinking and they'd rather not get their head kicked in." I can assure you that the times I am referring to there was no reason why...
  5. M

    Four central Glasgow stations to be gated

    "The barriers don't replace guards on the trains, they work alongside them." Tickets need to only be checked once. "...the barriers won't let you through without a valid ticket, but they don't control access to the trains. Someone could board a Glasgow-Aberdeen service with a ticket for High...
  6. M

    Four central Glasgow stations to be gated

    "... the manual barriers at present are operational for 3 hours each, morning and evening peaks, for 4 hours straight on a Saturday. Outwith those times, there is a significant amount of money walking out the exit." Am I the only sane one left here? The last I looked there were ticket...

Top