• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Recent content by davechis

  1. D

    Cheadle station

    Thanks for the responses. Wonder how they intend to trim back the platform, not heard of that engineering technique before!
  2. D

    Cheadle station

    That's interesting Rail Ranger do you have a source for that?
  3. D

    Cheadle station

    Interesting theory & perhaps that's what's happening in this case. The problem though would be that if they installed the platform at Cheadle to the current design, it would remove the possibility of providing a passing loop at a later date as the platform would be sited on the currently disused...
  4. D

    Cheadle station

    Yes it surprised me as well. The article does include the following passage Now Stockport council said the rail industry latest position recognises that more work will need to be done so that the removal of services at Ashley and Plumley is no longer required. But it doesn't go into any detail...
  5. D

    Cheadle station

    Yes it's unlikely that the M60 bridges would be widened. But I think it would be possible to provide a passing loop in the section between these bridges which would be long enough to accommodate the longest freight trains currently in operation. This part of the route retains the double trackbed...
  6. D

    Cheadle station

    Yes I'd agree with Mcr warrior about the freight workings. I carried out a study of the possible effect of the proposed station and it came out with a 25% reduction in capacity. This would be OK if the only use of the line was for passenger traffic but I'm aware that it's also significant as a...
  7. D

    Cheadle station

    I read in the Manchester Evening News today that the proposed station for Cheadle (in Stockport MBC) has been approved for construction & that work will start next week. As far as I can recall, funding for this scheme was approved as far back as 2022 but final Government approval was withheld...

Top