• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Recent content by bluealley

  1. B

    East Coast Mainline Stupidity

    Not calling at W'field would make little difference to the t'table. Trains have a big speed restriction through Westgate.
  2. B

    Peterborough to Leicester

    What would be the quickest non stop timing between these 2 centres? 45 mins, possibly. Given that much of this section is permitted for 90mph. Today's service is 54 min with 3 calling points. It was 72 mins in 1985. Can't remember the 1970s.
  3. B

    Stamford

    The BBC have filmed 2 of their costume dramas here yet have never utilised this lovely housing complex. Next time, perhaps?
  4. B

    consett to redcar class 37s

    Does anyone have any affection for this operation that I believe ran from 1974/5 up until the sad closure of Consett works in 1980. The 37s were still backwards and forwards until 1983 with scrap metal. The actual railway, nearer the Consett end still lay there until 1987 before final track...
  5. B

    Stamford

    A little unfair assuming I'm a snob just because I dislike a housing development.
  6. B

    Stamford

    My comment is certainly not to reflect badly on the houses close to the station. They look nice, but out of place to me. I remember seeing the goods yard and that stretch of driveway as you came out of the station. Also, as someone else has mentioned, the signalbox is looking increasingly...
  7. B

    Birmingham to Norwich in the 80s

    I was mid teens in 1980, I was at Stamford meeting a friend off the class 31 from Peterborough. It was quite a long set, my mates coach stopped nearer the tunnel than the platform. I can still see the look on his face now as he got off. I remember by 1985 the station announcer at PB always...
  8. B

    1970s Train Timetables For The ECML

    I was 7 in 1978 and I vaguely remember travelling from Peterborough to Newcastle on deltic. Our family travelled this route annually to visit family. My Dad remembers that when the hst took over it made such a difference to the journey.
  9. B

    Stamford

    No matter how many times I visit Stamford I will never like the housing estate in the close vicinity. Horrid.
  10. B

    Cambridge to Elgin/Nairn

    I find it very annoying that I want to travel from Cambridge to Elgin and cannot travel until after 9.30 if I want to pay anything close to a reasonably priced fare. Why can't they allow passengers who are travelling such huge distances some leeway. After all, this is set to be a 9/10 hour...
  11. B

    Trivia - How fast in theory nonstop to/from London?

    From past experience: These journeys took place between 1991 to 1994 Hst non stop York to Newcastle pass Thirsk in 11 min, Darlington 23 min. Class 91 York to Newcastle non stop in 47 min. Class 91 left Peterborough at 2053 (7 min late) arr Doncaster on time 2134. Class 91 left...
  12. B

    Birmingham to Norwich in the 80s

    I would love to travel on a class 31, say between Cambridge and Leicester for a bit of old nostalgia.
  13. B

    1980s Cambridge to Bp Stortford dmus

    I used to travel between Whittlesford and Cambridge on these DMUs quite often. Service was infrequent, not like today. Services to London were much slower if you travelled from intermediate stations like Whittlesford.
  14. B

    Inter city standing

    During the 80s/to mid 90s, I probably had to stand more than I sat when travelling between Peterborough to Durham/Newcastle on Inter city. When the class 91 started, at least they had seats in the corridor.
  15. B

    Birmingham to Norwich in the 80s

    Lots of disgruntled people complaining of the fares, but as some of us know, back in the day this could be a real slog. Now, for instance, with trains running hourly between Leicester/Stamford to Cambridge, and journey times comfortably reduced. I take my hat off to the man who used to travel...

Top