• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Recent content by AmtrakMan

  1. AmtrakMan

    Information for an International Tourist

    Cask Bar - Now marked on my GPS waypoints file. I originally had Knott Bar for my Deansgate Pub... This one seems better. I also have Lass O Gowrie marked in Manchester. Recommended Fish and Chips shops would be something else I would want to mark on the GPS file. But I suppose there are...
  2. AmtrakMan

    Information for an International Tourist

    This is great information! I have bookmarked the ITV football attendance page. -------------------------- Also thanks to the person who recommended Holland's Pies. Remember, I can't get either high street brand pies or pub pies in the USA that are any good... so there is no difference as...
  3. AmtrakMan

    Information for an International Tourist

    Yes, Lots of Football options... but really if I see 1 or 2 football matches on this holiday it will only be 1% of the holiday..... So much more to do in Britain. But in my case, a big PLUS for a Football Ground is rail station proximity... Hillsborough is 2.8 miles from the Sheffield...
  4. AmtrakMan

    Information for an International Tourist

    Yew, I understand. I just have had such a difficult time getting match tickets in the London area, that I had this crazy idea of a mathematical Ratio.... The ratio is The Largest Ground (total seats available) / The Worst Club in the Worst Division (lower number being worst position in...
  5. AmtrakMan

    Information for an International Tourist

    Now you are speaking my language! Rolling stock DOES make a big difference to me. Not to say the scenery isn't important though. But I would definately prefer a loco driven Class 67 with Mark 2 and Mark 3 stock over any DMU. I love the mark 3 coaches! Have seen photos of the via rail...
  6. AmtrakMan

    Information for an International Tourist

    That is no problem for us... Check the Amtrak Timetables for the state of ohio (my home). 2 daily intercity trains only - one calls at 3:30, the other at 5:50, in the other direction @ 23:00.... that one going east is not as bad as the others. :lol::lol::lol: I see the timetable and also...
  7. AmtrakMan

    Information for an International Tourist

    Wait a minute.... Does the Caledonian sleeper call at Preston? I thought you only boarded the train at the beginning and end on the Caledonian. Or is this a different sleeper that begins in Preston? I definately need to do some more reading on this forum. :lol:
  8. AmtrakMan

    Information for an International Tourist

    MCR247, I see the Glasgow - Mallaig line.... Looks very nice. But how does this compare to the Inverness - Kyle of Lochash line? And isn't all the rolling stock on those rural routes old and slow DMUs (not quite pacers)? Is the scenery so good that you don't mind the slow traction?
  9. AmtrakMan

    Information for an International Tourist

    Blackburn, Wigan and Stoke City have been promoted to the Premier League?? Well, thats what I get for not keeping up..... So what about a club with a big GROUND that is not longer in the premiership, like Sheffield Wednesday or Leeds United? That must be really really easy, right? I only...
  10. AmtrakMan

    Information for an International Tourist

    MattE2010, Thanks for the Lytham / St Annes or Southport tip, I have never even heard of these places. I am learning so much on here. Yet, I think we are learning to more of an "attractions" oriented holiday this time around. I am seriously considering skipping Blackpool, because of...
  11. AmtrakMan

    Information for an International Tourist

    Seat Reservations will definately help... But Luggage also does not mix well with a crowded train. We have successfully done Luggage on the London Undergound and Luggage on a crowded Euro-City Train with standing room only.... But I just want to try NOT to make those mistakes again. If I...
  12. AmtrakMan

    Information for an International Tourist

    Thanks for all of the quick responses. Yes, I have already been warned multiple times about Blackpool, and I understand 100%. But for some odd reason, I want to see and experience the place. It seems to be one of the "oldest" classic seaside resorts in the world. Run down is exactly what...
  13. AmtrakMan

    Information for an International Tourist

    Greetings, I am considering a holiday in the North of England soon. I think that I will be using the Transpennine Express (185 rolling stock) quite frequently based on the destinations I would like to visit. I was thinking of arriving and departing from Manchester Airport (On TPE) And...

Top